Thursday, October 8, 2009

what a difference a professional makes

This morning on my way to work, I picked up my silverpoint drawings from a professional photographer. I really struggled to get the detail and correct color on my own, and really don't have the necessary camera/lighting to capture images with this much detail. Dave at Perceptual Intent however, knocked it out of the park. Its nice to finally feel like I can really share these drawings online. So, without further ado.


untitled 4(silverpoint)
silverpoint on paper, 2009
40"x26"



untitled 3(silverpoint)
silverpoint on paper, 2009
40"x26"



untitled 2(silverpoint)
silverpoint on paper, 2009
24"x18"



untitled 1(silverpoint)
silverpoint on paper, 2009
24"x18"

In related news I'll have work up in two locations for the month of October. Selected paintings from the series "heart loot: and other small stories" will be on view at the Ginger Salon (pearl district location) thru November 2nd. Also, two of the above silverpoint drawings will be included in the Marylhurst University Art Alumni Show October 17th - November 25th. Opening reception is Friday Oct. 16th from 6-9pm.

2 comments:

  1. May I ask what these were inspired by, Michelle? They are very light and delicate, and remind me of a grouping of small shells, or perhaps barnacles on rock. Of course, they don't necessarily have to be *that* ... and that is the feeling I get from them. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy thanks for your thoughtful comment:

    These drawings are a really new direction for me. They're meditations on the idea of the unique and the whole (which I think is something that my artmaking has been about for quite a while in different forms). The shapes started almost by accident and depending on the day are small shells, or tree rings, or fingerprints or fantastical topographic maps. There's definitely a connection to nature - but also a nod to new ways of connection and communication (I think of the clustered drawings as being inspired by social networks) and I think my choice of silverpoint is important to this aspect. Creating work that is inspired by both the old and the new, but in a time-consuming and with an old fashioned method of mark making. Eventually I'll form a more coherent statement about what these drawings are, but for now I'm trying to stay in the moment and enjoy making them.

    ReplyDelete