Friday, August 14, 2009

things i'm looking at/listening to/thinking about

I've been thinking for awhile about posting a list of things that are inspiring me at the moment. Its a disparate group consisting of random phrases, songs, images, artists, observations, etc. This seems like as good a place as any to put that kind of list.

• Neko Case - I freaking love her voice and the fact that she now lives in Vermont with a barn full of pianos (seriously, how cool is that?) The lyrics of middle cyclone are so beautiful and vulnerable and strong at the same.

Baby, why'm I worried now,
did someone make a fool of me
'fore I could show 'em how it's done?
Can't give up actin' tough,
it's all that I'm made of.
Can't scrape together quite enough
to ride the bus to the outskirts
of the fact that I need love.

There were times that I tried,
one for every glass of water
that I spilled next to the bed,
wretching pennies in a boiling well
in a dream that it once becomes
a foundry of mute and heavy bells.
They shake me deaf and dumb
say, "Someone made a fool of me
'fore I could show 'em how it's done."

It was so clear to me
that it was almost invisible.
I lie across the path waiting,
just for a chance to be a spiderweb
trapped in your lashes.
For that, I would trade you my empire for ashes.
But I choke it back, how much I need love...


photo from this nytimes article

• Old Nautical Maps; I've always loved maps, especially old maps. Lately I've been interested in bodies of water, and nautical maps. I discovered the NOAA has a great online archive of old nautical charts/maps. I could spend hours there downloading historical maps.

Social networking. Its a hole new world of connecting to people and its made me think a lot lately about connection, and communicating in 140 characters, and overlapping spheres. Its a part of the silverpoint drawings I'm making, and relates to what has come to feel like the overarching theme of my artmaking; the relationship of the unique to the whole.

• Paper installation work by artists like chris natrop

• soft petaled flowers like ranaculus and peonies


No comments:

Post a Comment